Wednesday 14 November 2012

2011 Music Review: Hot Sauce Committee Part Two

The guy who posts a review once every 6 months is writing two in one day, look at that

Yeah this was really overdue. The death of Adam Yauch in May was depressing news, especially for me as now I can't ever see the Beastie Boys live. Not only that, but we probably won't ever be getting part one of the Hot Sauce Committee. I was originally going to post a review after I heard of his death, but didn't probably due to time restraint. Well, I'm doing it now, so here we go, let's review one of my favourite music artists of the alltimes eh


After the shambles of an instrumental album that was The Mix-Up, the Beastie Boys jumped back into action with Hot Sauce Committee Part Two. In terms of sound and content, this album sounds more like a Hello Nasty Part Two. It's full of popping and driving electro beats and subject-less lyrics. The seriousness of lyrical content appears again on tracks such as Too Many Rappers, but overall this is a much more relaxed recording, as it should be. 

Unfortunately, this album has a bit of filler towards the end. Now, I know you might say that Ill Communication had filler every track (it really f*cking didn't, you're just not listening to it properly), but the filler on this album is chucked onto the end of the album, making it dim down as compared to actually propelling towards an actual ending. This is a shame, as Hot Sauce Committee Part Two is a really enjoyable recording if you discount this, but I've never enjoyed having to stop an album because it reached a point where I was getting uninterested.

Overall though, it isn't an interesting Beastie Boys album. They have better recordings in every other album, (except the Mix-Up of course. Don't listen to that.), but that said I still enjoy it. It has managed to avoid sounding too old fashioned, which, may I add, is astounding for a hip-hop group. So kudos to the Beastie Boys for recording interesting material for more than 20 years, it's something that no other hip-hop musician has been able to do so well.

Composition - Neeeeh. It is the worst composed Beastie Boys recording.
5/10

Structure - It's aite. Gets boring toward the end though.
7/10

Creativity - Hip-Hop isn't a creative genre by any means (but I would say that). Go and find out for yourself.
9/10

Lyrics - Funky motherf*cking Donkey!
8/10

RIP Adam Yauch. I will remember you for wearing clothes that didn't fit you properly and being there for me all 2012. Wait, I think I've said too much

No comments:

Post a Comment